Home ยป FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions

Answers To Your Questions

  • An official complaint must first be lodged in writing within the government department where the alleged injustice occurred.
  • The department should be given a reasonable amount of time to adequately address the matter before it is brought to the attention of the Office of the Ombudsman.

All complaints must be made IN WRITING to the Ombudsman. Complaints can be lodged:

  1. In person at any of our three (3) office locations or a monthly community visit near you.
  2. Via email
  3. By mail/post
  4. Via drop-box

If you are unsure whether you have a valid complaint, you may contact the Office for further information.

Your complaint should include:

  • Name
  • Telephone contact
  • Residential address and/or mailing address
  • Email address (optional)
  • A summary outlining:
    • The facts of the complaint and the current status of the matter
    • The government department involved
    • The date when the complaint was lodged with the government department
    • The name of the person(s) to whom you have reported the matter
  • Copies of documents pertinent to your complaint (if available)

The Ombudsman wields investigatory powers in a wide range of situations relating to government services, some of which include:

  • Delay by Municipal Corporations in constructing, repairing and maintaining roads and drains.
  • Delay by Government Departments in processing and paying pension and severance benefits.
  • Delay by the National Insurance Board (NIB) in processing claims for NIS benefits.
  • Delays in obtaining birth certificates, passports, medical reports.
  • Refusals to disclose official documents under the Freedom of Information Act, Chap. 22:02.
  • Delay by Government Departments in responding to letters of complaints and requests for assistance.

Some of the matters which the Ombudsman cannot investigate include:

  • Civil or criminal proceedings before any Court.
  • Contractual or other commercial transactions.
  • Personnel matters in relation to service in the public service.
  • Terms and conditions of members of the armed forces.
  • Policy decisions of Ministers or Government Departments e.g. HDC Housing Allocations, Town and Country etc.

Situations in which maladministration may arise involving a government ministry, department or state agency may include:

  • Failure to provide the client with a response or advice.
  • Delays in addressing an issue or complaint, or a failure to act.
  • Decision or advice not in accordance with established policy, recognised procedures or the law.